Birds blown all over
Published at 19:40, Thursday, 24 April 2008
DERWENT Valley Federation fanciers experienced a very poor race from Appleton on Saturday.
Despite it being just under 100 miles, and normally an excellent race-point, this time it proved extremely tricky with lots of birds absent on the day.
There have been reports of Cumbrian pigeons being reported in Beverley, Hull, Blackburn, Ellesmere Port, Whitby, Hereford, Anglesey and even Dorset.
Liberation was at 11.15am in a fresh to strong east wind and the leaders took over two hours to make their lofts.
The disappointing returns followed two good opening races from Leyland and now the Federation programme starts from Stafford on Saturday.
Workington Victoria: 1, Hadfield and Devlin 1360. Flimby HS: 1, Hunter bros 1327. Ellenborough: 1, Barker, Charlton and Brown 1269.
Harrington Central: 1, Telford and Pooley 1349. Flimby West Coast: 1, J and D Hine and grandson 1315. Seaton RBL: 1, A Parker and son 1318.
Netherton: 1, R. Routledge 1321. Maryport: (Leyland 1) 1, T Fox and grand-daughter 1120. (Leyland 2) 1, Todhunter and Ismay 1250. (Appleton) 1, Todhunter and Ismay 1374.
Workington Social Limit: 1, G Best 1345.
Frizington (Appleton): 1, R J Reeves 1376. (Leyland): 1, T Scott, sons and Sim 1265. Distington (Appleton): 1, R McAvoy and son 1415. (Leyland): 1, R McAvoy and son, 1.299. Workington & District (Appleton): 1, K Carr 1407. (Leyland, 8 sent 183): 1, K Carr 1258.
Gt Clifton (Leyland): 1, J McVeigh 1352.
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- Gosforth Nursery
- Doncaster star Paul Cooke could miss Workington Town tie
- Carlisle United goalkeepers battle it out to be No1
- Support payments
- Last orders for Cumbrian barmaid after 40 years’ service
- Cumbria police warning after spate of burglaries
- Fifth of Cumbria's organic farmers quit in three years
- Wigton Local Links takes over social care inquiries
- Special agents!
- A high brow evening
- Videos of the Cumbria floods
- Cumbrian garage owner selling up due to supermarket competition (9 comments)
- Downpours cause flash flooding across Carlisle
- Station Rd becomes a river as Wigton floods
- Wigton gym owner hangs up trainers for hiking boots
- Carlisle Midnight Walk: Those taking part
- New Wigton building for expanding agricultural engineer CT Hayton
- Teens host Wigton’s first rock festival for young people
- Wigton’s carnival will go ahead, pledges deputy mayor
- Tesco and Allerdale council in talks over proposed Wigton store